Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Coupons! Coupons! Coupons!

So I did a little research this morning...trying to find out where to snatch up the best deals, etc.

So here's the nitty gritty for those of you in my area...you know who you are.

Here are the list of stores in our area and their coupon policies...(sorry, but I kept the list down to only the stores I shop at, so Giant is not on the list...I have never liked their prices.)

Food Lion 
Accepts manufacturer and internet coupons.
Does NOT double/triple

Shoppers
Accepts manufacturer and internet coupons.
Doubles up to $.99
On occasion, they triple, up to $1.50 I think.
Internet coupons accepted up to $7.00
Free internet coupons not accepted, unless it's BOGO.

Super Fresh
Accepts only manufacturer coupons
NO internet coupons
Does NOT double/triple

So...for me...Shoppers wins. Hands down. Not that it's a surprise. So now, onto planning my coupons and spending. Unfortunately for me one of my favorite sites, SouthernSavers.com doesn't offer the AD's for Shoppers on their site along with all the bonus information they provide (more on that in another post)...so I have to do a little work on my own.

So, let's pretend  you are sitting down with me at the dining room table to plan my shopping trip. Here's what I would do. First thing, I make a list of what is needed, and then what's wanted, then extras. This is so I won't over shop and/or buy anything we don't really need. Then, I head over to Shoppersfood.com and I hit up their 'online coupon' area. I select my desired coupons and even print doubles of some good ones. (Now, bear in mind many online couponers will keep track of how many you have printed. I believe you can print two to three before you will see a note that says "limit reached" next to the coupon.) For this trip I clipped 12 coupons, totaling savings of $12.55, I am already excited! I also have my already collected coupons stocked up and ready.

Next, I check the weekly specials...for even more change in my pocket! After selecting your store you can check out the weekly in-store specials or the circular. So I check those out and match up with coupons where possible. For example, I am adding these to my shopping trip:

Digiorno 2/$10 - Coupon for $2 off = 2 for $8 or $4 each
Kraft Cheese Singles 2/$4 - 2 Coupons for $1 off = 2 for $2 or $1.00 each
Tyson Chicken Strips (lower price) $6.99 - Coupon for $1.00 off = $5.99
Sargento Cheeses (lower price) $2.79 - Coupon for $.50 off two/doubled = $2.29 each
Johnsonville Italian Sausage 2/$6 - Coupon for $1.00 off = $5.00 or $2.50 each

So with just those I am saving $7.00...it's a start, that's for sure.

Now the plan for this trip to the store is to just buy what is needed, no stocking up.

So skip forward a couple hours...after some research and planning, collecting and cutting coupons...the shopping is done and I save $13.80!!! That was 14% of my total. I am quite proud of myself...I love learning how to coupon and I love saving money!

So get out there, cut coupons, do a little planning and SAVE! Share some of your best couponing stories and how you save money shopping!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails