Saturday, April 19, 2008

Priceless thing which occurred at work......

Cory finally writing again...(I remembered my password)

I had something happen at work that I thought would be nice to share with those who read my blog. I hope that I can do the story justice on here, so here goes.

I received a call to go to an intersection where a deer had been struck by a vehicle. When I arrived on the scene I noticed that there was not only one deer, but actually two deer struck by a vehicle. The only thing left on the scene from the vehicle was a bunch of little broken plastic piceses. No signs of the vehicle, but this vehicle had to have severe damage because they weren't small deer.

I got out of my vehicle and started to walk up to the deer because I was going to have to drag it out of the middle of the road. Well as I approached the deer I noticed that one of them was still alive. This really freaked me out because for some reason I have this fear of me pulling a deer off the road and it waking up and kicking my butt. (I guess I watched Tommy Boy one too many times, "Holy shnickes.") After I got over the idea of this deer being alive I walked over to the other deer to see if it was dead. Thank God this deer was dead, so I dragged it over to the side of the street, then I had to figure out what I was going to do with the deer that was still alive, but couldn't move.

For those of you that don't know we are supposed to shoot a deer that is hurt but still alive. It is the humane thing to do. My dilemma was that we are in the middle of Solomons Island Road (also known as Route 2) which happens to be a three lane highway going both ways. So I called my Sgt. who advised me to get another officer to block off one side of the road to stop traffic and find a safe background to shoot the deer. So I called another officer and he was en-route to help me block traffic.

While I waited for the officer to arrive on scene I sat in my car wishing for this deer to just die, so that I wouldn't have to shoot it. Something about shooting a deer while on duty just doesn't sit right with me. So as I am sitting here telling the deer to just die ... this deer decides, "Oh I am done lying her on the ground, I'm going to get up now." The deer literally bends in half trying to get up and running away. (this is where you animal rights people get up and get a tissue) The deer couldn't get up because clearly his legs were broken and his face was split from the end of his nose to past his ear. So he just flopped onto the road and gave what I thought was his last breath. WRONG

Finally the other officer arrived on scene. I advised him of what I was going to do and he pulled his car across the lanes to block traffic. He got out of his vehicle and I approached the deer and got into position to shoot the deer. Just as I took aim at the deer I heard a citizen asked, "Sir am I able to go around?" Just as the officer started to answer, "Ma am you might want to wait" BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM. I shot the deer and put it out of his misery.

I asked the other officer if he saw the ladies face when the gun went off, but he said, "no I was watching you." I told him I can only imagine what her face looked like. Here she was wanting to go around and the next thing she hears is a gunshot go off. I can only imagine what she was thinking. So I was able to put this deer out of it's misery, but this deer had the will to live because even after the gunshot it took another 5 minutes for the deer to finally breath its last breath.

Well that was my priceless story from work. That lady will probably never ask another officer again if she can go around a police barricade. She probably is calling a counselor as you read this for counseling sessions. Have a great day and until next time.......

Peace, love and hair grease.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cory,
You may not remember me, I went to Heritage years ago. I am an aquaintance(spelling bad) of April's which is how I read both of your blogs.

This was an interesting blog. I can only imagine what it felt like for you and what that woman was thinking. Speaking as a person who doesn't like to see any kind of animal hurt or die, I believe that what you did was the right thing to do and brave as well. Just by your wish alone for the deer to die on its own, it shows that shooting the deer was the last thing you wanted to do.

Becky

Many Titles said...

I can't help but laugh, not at the fact of you having to shoot the deer, but at the woman!!!! I mean who even asks an officer if they can just go around a barricade. "Sure, we just put these things up for the fun of it. There is no reason why I don't want you to go around. Thanks for asking!" Ha ha, crazy lady.

Anonymous said...

This was the saddest story ever!!! I think you need to add a little disclaimer at the beginning... LoL

I HATE animal calls... I hate knowing that someone could just hit something, even a deer, and drive away. It makes me so sad! One time I was driving down the road and I saw a rabbit that had been struck and was laying in the middle of the road. I pulled over and called one of my deputy friends (who laughed at me, by the way) and then sat with this poor little rabbit until they came to help it. I didn't like the thought of them killing it, but even more than that I didn't like the thought of it laying there suffering and/or dying alone.

UGH... why do I have to be such an animal lover?! As a side note, animals are one reason that I could never become a police officer (not that I have any desire to anyway... I'm perfectly content being "just a dispatcher"!) because even though putting them out of their misery is the "right" or humane thing to do, I could never kill something.

I know, I'm a dork... *SIGH*

Related Posts with Thumbnails