Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Heavy actions...

April writing...

I think we are really in a prime time where our Youth Group is putting together an identity all their own...with our own little personality. They have been lovingly known as the Verbies for a while now...as our youth group name is VERB Student Ministries.

The meaning behind it? Well...it's basically a challenge to put ACTION behind what we do...to DO something and stand on it and believe in it! It's been great to teach the students to DO what they mean and MEAN what they do. In fact our little tag line is "It's what we DO!" My hope as I am sure the other leaders agree, is that they will realize that what they DO in life is just as important as what they SAY, BELIEVE, DREAM, etc.

It's funny to see them "represent the V!" and be so proud of their Youth Groups identity. To see them OWN it.

Actions these days are so important. People really pick up on them. I can SAY one thing and DO something completely different and then I will find that my words really meant nothing...as my actions weighed so much more. I firmly believe that this is a lesson that should be learned early.

I am proud when I see a student in our group DO something amazing, even something as simple as picking up trash as they walk by. In our world today, there is such a "ME" mentality, that when we see someone come out of their OWN world to do something to make the world as a WHOLE better for others, it seems like a big deal!

I am especially proud of the 10 students that we have on a missions trip this year. Sure the trip may not be as tough as say...heading to Africa or Haiti, but they are coming out of their little cushy American comfort zones. It's hot and muggy and uncomfortable. There are bugs and cockroaches. There is hard manual labor to be done, and little kids to love on that may not have a great home life. I am pretty sure that in Matthew 25:40 it says "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." It doesn't matter if they went down there to just love on a fatherless child or lay some concrete...WHATEVER they do...to the least of these...they do it unto HIM.

I won't sell these student short. I feel that the choice they made, for whatever their reasons were, will have an impact not only on the people in Puerto Rico, but on the students lives themselves.

Those little actions...are heavy actions...because IT'S WHAT WE DO.

VERBIES I am so proud of you and I can't wait for you to get back and to hear the stories of the children you met, the changes you made. The good times and the bad. I know that God has huge plans for all of you!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails