Friday, September 24, 2010

Geocaching.

This....sounds kind of nerdy and exciting!

I want to learn all about Geocaching. I have heard of it, and seen a few videos about it. But today I watched a video of another blogger doing it for the first time. I am so in on this.

So, first things first, I did some research. That's how I roll.

I went to Wikipedia and searched "geocaching," and I learned this...
"Geocaching is an outdoor activity in which the participants use a GPS or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook. Larger containers such as plastic storage containers (tupperware or similar) or ammo boxes can also contain items for trading, usually toys or trinkets of little value. Geocaching is most often described as a "game of high-tech hide and seek."

It's like hide and seek for adults!!

Oh this is going to be fun!

I loved reading about the terminology too...like "Mugler" which is "A non geocacher that is in some way preventing you from finding a cache." or "Muggled" which means "Being caught by a non-geocacher while retrieving/replacing a cache; also, a muggled cache has been removed or vandalized by a non-geocacher, usually out of misunderstanding or ignorance." In most caches you will find "Geoswag" which are "The items that can be found in some larger caches."

Come on...does this not sound fun?!

So then I was off to Geocaching.com. I registered for free basic membership, did a little more light reading and then I was off to search for my very first geocache find. I was sure to search around my home, in hopes that when Husby woke up today we could head out together to see what we find! I found a geocache location only about two miles from my house...so now I am super eager to get home and give it a try.

From here maybe we will bump up the difficulty level. It looks like you can really have fun with this! I am really excited!! Have you ever Geocached before??

I'll be sure to let you know how it works out!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails